PlanIT Geo is a small company based outside of Denver with employees around the country and partners and customers around the globe. The TreePlotter SaaS platform is used by local and state governments, private tree care firms, consultants, nonprofits, campuses, and others who work with trees, parks, and natural resources. Our software grew out of and up with our service businesses: PlanIT Geo was founded seven years ago to do canopy analysis of cities, on-the-ground tree inventories, and tree management plans by the arborists and GIS experts who started the company. Because of our deep interest in, knowledge of, and love of trees, our software is growing quickly around the world and with a strong reputation.
PlanIT Geo is seeking a Software Developer to join our team. In this role you will work with a small group of dedicated professionals to build TreePlotter software, a leading solution for web-mapping, managing, and analyzing trees and related resources. We are a small company based outside of Denver with employees around the country and partners and customers around the globe. This is an exciting period in our company’s growth, with plenty of opportunity to advance and grow along with us.
TreePlotter INVENTORY, PARKS, and CANOPY compose our existing SaaS platform. Our software is used by local and state governments, private tree care firms, consultants, nonprofits, campuses, and others who work with trees, parks, and natural resources. Our newest offering, TreePlotter JOBS, is free through November for private tree care firms and consulting arborists, and helps clients estimate win and manage work for trees on residential and commercial properties.
You will help our developers grow while continuing to improve yourself and have confidence in the solutions you create and champion. You will keep an open mind to existing solutions and various paths forward. Our developers enjoy writing code, creating great solutions, working to complete features without leaving things unfinished, using Agile to create working software at the end of each iteration.
Remote, work from home – it is 2020! We do have a wonderful office in Arvada that we hope to see again someday, and if you live around Denver you are welcome to work often when practical. We would also like to fly you in to visit occasionally if you live elsewhere.
Primary Responsibilities of the Position:
- Develop and maintain web-based software using best practices
- Take ownership of code, systems, and processes, always with an eye toward improvement
- Take pride in software that works well, scales without issue, and makes our customers happy
- Assist in our transition to a more test-driven approach and other initiatives around quality
- Lead and mentor other developers, while being willing to learn from them
- Participate in an evolving Agile development environment emphasizing collaboration
Required Skills and Experience:
- 3+ years of hands-on software development experience
- Solid software engineering fundamentals, from algorithms to design methodology
- A true understanding of OO or functional programming with experience in that paradigm, and a willingness to grow and learn in your practice of software engineering
- Git and source control management
- Web-based software expertise in HTML, CSS, client-side scripting, and responsive design
- Competence in SQL, relational databases, and related concepts, and experience with modern purpose-built DBs (NoSQL, event streaming, graph, etc)
- Experience with integrations, APIs, and interoperability through standards
- Experience with mobile web development
- Proficient on Linux/GNU systems, and experience in cloud-based platforms like AWS
- Great with clients, and a firm commitment to maintaining excellent relationships
- You spent at least some time reviewing our sites and systems before applying
- College degree in computer science or a related field, or equivalent experience
Desired Skills and Nice-To-Haves:
- Experience with TDD/BDD and a willingness to facilitate our transition to TDD
- Experience with mobile UI/UX design patterns and best practices
- Experience working on multi-tenant SaaS platforms, and SPAs
- Experience designing and developing APIs in a service-based architecture
- Knowledge and experience with NoSQL, graph databases, and other storage technologies and purpose-built DBs
- Experience with event-sourcing, streaming platforms, and functional programming
- Familiar with mapping/GIS concepts and technologies
- Interest in trees, forestry, natural resource management, sustainability, or urban planning a plus
PlanIT Geo has employee benefits that include health insurance, PTO, and a 401k match.
How to apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter (or cover email) and resume.