Rumie empowers people to build critical career and life skills through a free & open digital library of microlearning experiences called Bytes.
We work with expert volunteers to transfer professional insights into Bytes that form a library of transferable soft skills on topics like communication, collaboration, and creativity. We leverage data and Machine Learning to deliver recommendations and personalized insights, creating a learning experience that feels more like your favourite social media platform, empowering people to scroll with purpose.
Rumie works with distribution partners like job boards, community centres, and internet service providers to bring our library of Bytes to where people already are – through public WiFi, waiting for a bus, or even in a laundromat. So that every person has access to free and open learning.
We’re a tight-knit team dedicated to empowering 50 million learners by 2025. We are funded through corporate/nonprofit partnerships to advance our mission, and by entities like the GSMA Association.
Rumie is looking for a Jr Software Developer that will provide a significant contribution across our entire ecosystem of products: Build / Connect / Learn. You can find out more about them here & on our Stackshare.
The primary focus will be on implementing product features into usable interfaces, with an eye on usability and intuitiveness, while maintaining strong dev principles. This position reports to the FrontEnd Manager, an ambassador for the VueJS community and organizer of VueConf Toronto, but will interface across the entire organization.
We focus on people rather than processes, we use
Crystal Clear as our project management methodology. We stress effective & impactful communication, purposely not have everything prescribed and stress long term product momentum. Our software development principles centre around usability first, iterative high quality releases, and being open minded to new techniques, tools and procedures.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Help build leading edge solutions as part of the front-end development team
- Create and maintain user interfaces that are intuitive, and simple to operate across a range of different languages and user capabilities
- Participate as a pivotal member of the engineering team
- Provide code reviews, feedback, and integrate components from other developers
- Support strategic plans through implementation of cutting edge solutions
- At least 6 months of professional software development experience in projects with the same technologies we use, OR a measurable contribution to any noteworthy OSS project
- Must have experience with: Vue.js, ES6, Git (GitHub)
- Good to have: Nuxt.js, Firebase, TailwindCSS
- Ability to translate product outlines, mockups and user insights into practical user interfaces
- Understand and implement design principles
- Open to enhancement ideas and able to quickly alter development flow if needed
- Experience or strong desire within a greatly collaborative software development team
- Great team player but must thrive in self-managed and independent environments
- A commitment to Rumie’s mission and enthusiasm to contribute across any aspect of the organization
Why join our team?
- You will directly contribute to making learning free and accessible to every person around the world
- We have won the Google Impact Challenge and we were named the “World’s Best Social Startup” by Global Entrepreneurship Week
- Funders and Supporters include Y Combinator/Imagine K12 in Silicon Valley, WISE (World Innovation Summit for Education), GSMA Association, and some of the most prominent Companies in North America.
- We’re an effective, creative, and resourceful team that maintains great camaraderie
- We offer competitive benefits, and a working environment that’s human-centric
- We’re growing extremely fast, and our products are on the leading edge of technology
How to apply
- Please send your resume, link to your portfolio, and a cover letter to [email protected]
- Send us whatever you think is a compelling portfolio of your best work, whether that’s a github link, a CV or your personal site. Please consider submitting only if you think our mission and products are ideal for you to be able to offer a significant contribution.